Thursday, June 2, 2016

Italian Beef and Pepper Jack Grilled Cheese

This sandwich is out of this world, blow your mind good (even though I know it doesn't look like it - sorry.)! One of the best sandwiches my mouth has ever had the pleasure of consuming. Seriously. My family has an Italian beef recipe that we have made for years. We use it for French Dips. They're super easy, can feed a ton of people, and are just amazing. Well, we had them at a family gathering last November. The next day there was still meat left, but all the rolls we usually put it on were gone. So I decided to make it into a grilled cheese sandwich and let me tell you, I was a changed woman. I thought I loved the French dips, but now that I LOVE these grilled cheese sandwiches I am not sure I will ever choose to eat it as a French dip again. And now you are blessed because I will share the recipe with you so you can enjoy it for the rest of your life.
Italian Beef - super easy version (a little less healthy - it's a trade off)
A roast - I usually use rump or chuck - whatever size you want that can fit in your slow cooker (this could be made on the stove too if you want it to go faster or you don't have a slow cooker, but I always use my slow cooker because it's so easy)
2 packets onion soup mix (like Lipton - they come in a box)
2 packets Italian dressing mix
water - enough to fill your slow cooker to about an inch or two below the brim
Put everything in your slow cooker and turn it on. Let it cook. Do it on high or low. I usually do low for 12-24 hours. Once it's easy to shred it's done.
Italian Beef - the healthier version
A roast - I usually use rump or chuck - whatever size you want that can fit in your slow cooker (this could be made on the stove too if you want it to go faster or you don't have a slow cooker, but I always use my slow cooker because it's so easy)
1/4 cup prepared Italian dressing Mix (see recipe below)
1/2 cup dried onion flakes
1/4 cup low-sodium beef bouillon granules
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
water - enough to fill your slow cooker to about an inch or two below the brim
Put everything in your slow cooker and turn it on. Let it cook. Do it on high or low. I usually do low for 12-24 hours. Once it's easy to shred it's done.
Italian Dressing Mix
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
2 tablespoons salt
Mix it all together and store in an airtight container
We like to add some sauteed onion (and some people like sauteed mushrooms as well - I don't eat fungus
), so make those up if you want some. If you are making a french dip then cut your rolls in half length wise, place sliced cheese on one side (pepper jack is best but whatever you prefer) and butter the other side, place under broiler - but watch it to make sure it doesn't burn. Then put your meat on (and onions and mushrooms if you're going with them) and get a little cup of the juice from the crock-pot and you're good to go. Or, if you want to knock your socks, make it into a grilled cheese. But instead of stacking the bread while cooking place each side on the frying pan (buttered side down of course) and put cheese on each piece. Once your cheese is melted and bread is golden put the meat and onions on (and mushrooms.) Put the top on. Then let your mouth be so happy. And then tell me how much you love it and how your life will never be the same. ‪#‎yourewelcome‬ ‪#‎easyhealthydelicious‬ ‪#‎lifechangingfood‬‪ #‎bestsandwichaward‬ ‪#‎yourbeachbodycoach‬

No comments:

Post a Comment